- July 2015: Software Engineering Team Lead
- August 2014: Senior Software Engineer (SEIII)
- June 2013: Software Engineer (SEII)
MPublishing, University of Michigan
- Design and develop web sites, applications and workflow tools to support digital publishing
- Develop, customize archiving and content-management platforms (DLXS, WordPress and Drupal)
- Provide technical support for our electronic publishing operations
ProteomeCommons.org, Dept. of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan
Washtenaw Community College
- Designing for the User Experience: information architecture, with brief introduction to accessibility, usability engineering and SEO.
- Internet Technology: high-level overview of Internet technology.
- Web Coding I & II: web development with XHTML and CSS, with brief introductions to XML/XSLT, WML and SGML.
Publications & conferences
- Bryan Smith, James Hill, Mark Gjukich, Philip Andrews. Tranche Distributed Repository and ProteomeCommons.org. Chapter from Data Mining in Proteomics: Methods in Molecular Biology. Humana Press, 2010.
- James Hill, Bryan Smith, Panagiotis Papoulias, Philip Andrews. ProteomeCommons.org Collaborative Annotation and Project Management Resource Integrated With the Tranche Repository. Journal of Proteome Research, April 2010.
Conferences papers and presentations
- Seth Johnson, Bryan Smith, Kevin S. Hawkins. mPach: Integrated Publishing and Archiving of Journals in HathiTrust: JATS-Con, NIH. (2014) paper, presentation
- Nate Derbinsky, Bryan Smith, John Laird. Towards Efficiently Supporting Large Symbolic Declarative Memories. International Conference on Cognitive Modeling (ICCM) 2010.
- Representing Ontologies and Reasoning with SMem: Soar Workshop 2010 presentation. pdf, 2.5MB (2010)
- Recent and Upcoming Developments in the Tranche Distributed Data Repository: Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) Toronto conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 1.4MB (2009)
- ProteomeCommons.org Annotations and Project Management Resource: Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) Toronto conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 3.0MB (2009)
- Babel Fish: Conversion of MS File Formats and Standards : American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Philadelphia conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 795KB (2009)
- Annotation and Project Management Resource Integrated with the ProteomeCommons.org Tranche Repository : American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Philadelphia conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 2.0MB (2009)
- IMS Learning Impact 2017. 2017, Denver CO.
- IMS Quarterly Meeting & Summit on Digital Credentials and Badges. 2017, Orlando FL.
- IMS Quarterly Meeting & Analytics Summit. 2016, Phonenix AZ.
- Lead Developer 2016. 2016, London.
- IMS Learning Impact 2016. 2016, San Antonio TX.
- ng-conf extended. 2014, Washington DC.
- CocoaConf. 2013, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Clojure/West. 2013, Portland, Oregon.
- 2012 Accessibility Summit. 2012, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- YAPC::NA. 2012, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Future Insignts Live. 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- DrupalCon 2011. 2011, Chicago.
- Digital Publishing and Preservation Using XML. 2010, University of Michigan.
- DLXS workshop. 2010, University of Michigan.
- Soar workshop. 2010, University of Michigan.
- Extended Transcript 1.0 - Overview & Status Update: IMS Quarterly, February 2017
- Let's Build an iPhone App: January 2015 (overview, source)
- Pancreapedia: building an online pancreatic research community: MLibrary Lightning Talks, July 2012.
- Single Page Webapps with Mojolicious and Backbone.js: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, July 2012.
- Design Patterns with Perl featuring Moose: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, March 2011.
- Introduction to Moose: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, Jan 2011.
Semantic memory (the storage and retrieval of facts about the world), including the development of tools to work with ontologies as well as performing tractable inferential reasoning.
De novo sequencing
Attempt to automate the identifiction of proteins from mass spectrometer output using genetic algorithms and applications of discrete mathematics. (Limited success for shorter sequences, but tractability and false positive problems for longer sequences).
- University of Michigan, School of Information. Ann Arbor, MI.(2002,2012)
MSI in Human-Computer Interaction. Incomplete
- Eastern Michigan University. Ypsilanti, MI. (January 2005 - December 2007)
Second Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Mathematics minor.
- College of William & Mary. Williamsburg, VA. (September 1998 - May 2002)
First Bachelor of Science, Psychology concentration.
- Advanced React and Redux. Udemy, April 2017. certificate
- Modern React with Redux. Udemy, January 2017. certificate
- Functional Programming Principles in Scala. Coursera, November 2014. certificate
- Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems. (Signature Track). Coursera/University of Maryland, April 2014. certificate
- Crytography 1. Coursera/Stanford University, December 2012. certificate
- Software Engineering for SaaS. (TDD, Ruby on Rails) Coursera/UC Berkeley, August 2012.
Awards & scholarships
- Digital Credentials Leadership Award (2017): IMS Global
- Outstanding Senior Award in Computer Science (2007), Meritorious Award in Computer Science (2006): academic achievement, Eastern Michigan University.
- James Monroe Scholarship: (1998) scholarship provided for independent research at the College of William & Mary for incoming freshmen.