- Managed teams that delivered a highly available, resilient, readily adopted and mission-critical platform; as well as contributed to other business-critical frameworks and applications
- Responsible for leading the end-to-end testing for cross-organizational initiatives
- Managed teams that delivered machine learning-enabled marketing capabilities
- Helped lead cross-organization development and adoption of shared machine learning-based experimentation capabilities
- Managed cross-functional team responsible for platform integrations, analytics, and academic program management
- Contributed to development of open standards for digital credentials, including critical role in terms of driving development and early adoption of the Extended Transcript standard
- Led requirements gathering and project management across teams for multiple projects
- Managed cross-functional team responsible for platform integrations, analytics, and domain administration
- Contributed to development of open standards for digital credentials, especially related to the Extended Transcript standard
- Provided greenfield native iOS and responsive web development
- Led select client management and requirements gathering
- Contributed capabilities to and provided support for shared education technology platform
MPublishing, University of Michigan
- Contributed to MPach publishing platform, which published born-digital content to HathiTrust
- Co-developed redesign of Michigan Press website
- Implemented redesign of highly customizable interface for DLXS platform, and adopted platform for various journals and imprints
- Provided development support for Pancreapedia, a knowledgebase sponsered by the American Pancreatic Association
- Other custom web and workflow development
ProteomeCommons.org, Dept. of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan
- Core development of Tranche project, a secure, peer-to-peer distributed object store and platform targeting scientific communities
- Co-managed distributed Tranche network used by the proteomics community, supported by ProteomeCommons.org
- Development and contributions to tandem mass spectrometry utilities (mass spectrometer file format conversions, de novo peptide identification)
Washtenaw Community College
- Designing for the User Experience: information architecture, with brief introduction to accessibility, usability engineering and SEO.
- Internet Technology: high-level overview of Internet technology.
- Web Coding I & II: web development with XHTML and CSS, with brief introductions to XML/XSLT, WML and SGML.
- University of Michigan, School of Information. Ann Arbor, MI.(2002,2012)
MSI in Human-Computer Interaction. Incomplete
- Eastern Michigan University. Ypsilanti, MI. (January 2005 - December 2007)
Second Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Mathematics minor.
- College of William & Mary. Williamsburg, VA. (September 1998 - May 2002)
First Bachelor of Science, Psychology concentration.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate (2018-2020) certificate
Awards & scholarships
- Digital Credentials Leadership Award (2018): IMS Global
- Digital Credentials Leadership Award (2017): IMS Global
- Outstanding Senior Award in Computer Science (2007), Meritorious Award in Computer Science (2006): academic achievement, Eastern Michigan University.
- James Monroe Scholarship: (1998) scholarship provided for independent research at the College of William & Mary for incoming freshmen.
- Essential Google Cloud Infrastructure: Core Services. Coursera, September 2021. certificate
- Essential Google Cloud Infrastructure: Foundation. Coursera, August 2021. certificate
- Google Cloud Fundamentals: Core Infrastructure. Coursera, August 2021. certificate
- Introduction to Machine Learning with TensorFlow. Udacity, July 2020. certificate pdf
- Learn DevOps: CI/CD with Jenkins using Pipelines and Docker. Udemy, May 2018. certificate
- DevOps Foundations. LinkedIn Learning, May 2018.
- Python Jumpstart. April 2018.
- Apache Spark 2.0 with Scala. Udemy, February 2018. certificate
- Amazon Web Services - Web Hosting & Cloud Computing With AWS. Udemy, December 2017. certificate
- Webpack 2: The Complete Developer's Guide. Udemy, October 2017. certificate
- Machine Learning. Coursera, August 2017. certificate
- Intro to Inferential Statistics. Udacity, May 2017.
- Advanced React and Redux. Udemy, April 2017. certificate
- Modern React with Redux. Udemy, January 2017. certificate
- Functional Programming Principles in Scala. Coursera, November 2014. certificate
- Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems. (Signature Track). Coursera/University of Maryland, April 2014. certificate
- Crytography 1. Coursera/Stanford University, December 2012. certificate
- Software Engineering for SaaS. (TDD, Ruby on Rails) Coursera/UC Berkeley, August 2012.
- Bryan Smith, James Hill, Mark Gjukich, Philip Andrews. Tranche Distributed Repository and ProteomeCommons.org. Chapter from Data Mining in Proteomics: Methods in Molecular Biology. Humana Press, 2010.
- James Hill, Bryan Smith, Panagiotis Papoulias, Philip Andrews. ProteomeCommons.org Collaborative Annotation and Project Management Resource Integrated With the Tranche Repository. Journal of Proteome Research, April 2010.
Conferences papers and presentations
- Extended Transcript 1.0 - Overview & Status Update: IMS Quarterly, February 2017
- Seth Johnson, Bryan Smith, Kevin S. Hawkins. mPach: Integrated Publishing and Archiving of Journals in HathiTrust: JATS-Con, NIH. (2014) paper, presentation
- Nate Derbinsky, Bryan Smith, John Laird. Towards Efficiently Supporting Large Symbolic Declarative Memories. International Conference on Cognitive Modeling (ICCM) 2010.
- Representing Ontologies and Reasoning with SMem: Soar Workshop 2010 presentation. pdf, 2.5MB (2010)
- Recent and Upcoming Developments in the Tranche Distributed Data Repository: Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) Toronto conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 1.4MB (2009)
- ProteomeCommons.org Annotations and Project Management Resource: Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) Toronto conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 3.0MB (2009)
- Babel Fish: Conversion of MS File Formats and Standards : American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Philadelphia conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 795KB (2009)
- Annotation and Project Management Resource Integrated with the ProteomeCommons.org Tranche Repository : American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Philadelphia conference 2009 poster presentation. PDF, 2.0MB (2009)
Semantic memory (the storage and retrieval of facts about the world), including the development of tools to work with ontologies as well as performing tractable inferential reasoning.
De novo sequencing
Attempt to automate the identifiction of proteins from mass spectrometer output using genetic algorithms and applications of discrete mathematics. (Limited success for shorter sequences, but tractability and false positive problems for longer sequences).
- IMS Global Quarterly Meeting & Digital Credentials Summit 2018. 2018, Scottsdale AZ.
- IMS Global Quarterly Meeting & Analytics Summit 2017. 2017, Redmond, WA.
- IMS Global Quarterly Meeting & Technical Congress. 2017, Ann Arbor, MI.
- IMS Learning Impact. 2017, Denver CO.
- IMS Quarterly Meeting & Summit on Digital Credentials and Badges. 2017, Orlando FL.
- IMS Quarterly Meeting & Analytics Summit. 2016, Scottsdale AZ.
- Lead Developer 2016. 2016, London.
- IMS Learning Impact 2016. 2016, San Antonio TX.
- ng-conf extended. 2014, Washington DC.
- CocoaConf. 2013, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Clojure/West. 2013, Portland, Oregon.
- 2012 Accessibility Summit. 2012, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- YAPC::NA. 2012, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Future Insignts Live. 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- DrupalCon 2011. 2011, Chicago.
- Digital Publishing and Preservation Using XML. 2010, University of Michigan.
- DLXS workshop. 2010, University of Michigan.
- Soar workshop. 2010, University of Michigan.
- Run Log serverless re-architecture: December 2019
- Let's Build an iPhone App: January 2015 (overview, source)
- Pancreapedia: building an online pancreatic research community: MLibrary Lightning Talks, July 2012.
- Single Page Webapps with Mojolicious and Backbone.js: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, July 2012.
- Design Patterns with Perl featuring Moose: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, March 2011.
- Introduction to Moose: Ann Arbor Perl Mongers, Jan 2011.